23 04 2014

What services does your local authority provide for young people with disabilities?

Local Offer

It is important to understand that every local authority in England has to publish by September 2014 a local offer of services for young people and adults living with a disability or Special Educational Need. Do you know what is in your local authority's local offer? Will it meet your needs? If not you can contact your council and ask to be consulted.

What is the local offer?
The local offer puts all the information in one place, about health and social services, education, leisure activities and support groups available in the area for children and young people aged 0–25, with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). It also explains the additional or different provision provided for children who have SEND.
By September 2014 every local authority must publish this information.

Who is it for?
The local offer will enable parents, carers, children, young people and practitioners/professionals to see clearly which service(s) and support across education, health and social care, are available locally for all children and young people from birth to 25 years with SEND, and how and when they can be accessed.

What must it include?
The local offer must include:

  • education, health and care provision
  • arrangements for identifying and assessing children and young people’s SEND
  • training provision including apprenticeships
  • travel arrangements to/from early years settings, schools and post 16 providers
  • support to help children and young people’s transitions between phases and for adulthood
  • sources of information, advice and support about SEND in the area
  • arrangements for making complaints, mediation and rights of appeal to the tribunal.

Find out more:



Leave a Comment

Stay connected with..